The Jeff Davis Arts Council
Preserving, Promoting, and Perpetuating Arts in Our Parish
The JDAC has for years developed a reputation as one of the foremost arts councils in the state of Louisiana.
Due to hard work and continued support by the Arts Council’s members, the organization offers a wide variety of services to citizens of Jeff Davis Parish.
The major focus of all the JDAC’s efforts is to bring art, arts education, and art appreciation to the students and citizens of our parish.
The Jeff Davis Arts Council Offers the Following Programs and Initiatives:
- A Block Off Broadway Community Theatre (ABOB)
- A Chip Off the Old Block Youth Theatre (grades 7-12)
- A Chip Off the Old Block Children’s Theatre (grades 3-6)
- ABOB Movie Night in Jennings
- Annual Jennings Arts Alive Festival in Downtown Jennings
- Harvey Rabbit Drug Awareness Program in Jeff Davis Parish Schools (sponsored by District Attorney Michael Cassidy)
- Writing and Arts Competitions for Jeff Davis Parish students
- Student Art Exhibits featuring the visual art work of Jeff Davis Parish students of Marietta Marceaux
- Mommy and Me Art Classes for mothers and children
The JDAC is excited about tackling the Heywood Building restoration project for a number of reasons, including the following:
- The JDAC has staff that can support the project.
- The Heywood Building will provide desperately-needed office and exhibit space.
- The location of the building is ideal, situated across from the Zigler Art Museum.
- This new location will allow the JDAC to develop a higher profile in the community, which will enhance fundraising and allow it to increase programming.
- The Mayor and the City Council of Jennings have agreed to study the possibility of establishing a cooperative endeavor that will allow the coordination of programming for all the cultural institutions in downtown Jennings: The W.H. Tupper General Merchandise Museum, The Children’s Telephone Pioneer Museum, The Zigler Art Museum, and the Strand Theatre. The Heywood Building would be an ideal headquarters for this artistic and educational alliance.
The JDAC does incredible work in our community for both students and adults, and the restored Heywood Building will give this organization a permanent home, right in the heart of vibrant downtown Jennings.